Sunday, July 30, 2006

Week 4 recap...

Well, week 4 is complete...it was nice to have what was called an easy, or step-down, week. But at times it wasn't easy. I am terrified at times that it is going to be something stupid that ruins all this effort, something that is rather unexpected, unavoidable that is going to hurt me. Sunday had just that scare. I was wearing a pair of adidas sandals...you know the rubber type with the rubber spungee cushiony sole, and I took a step off the stairs when the darn sandal slipped off my right foot. When I stepped down my foot landed off on and half off; the heel being off and mid foot and toes being on. Not sure what exactly the sandal did this, but the heel was extremely tender for the first part of the week. I was scared that I had really bruised the plantar fascia...since i had a issue with plantar fascitis on the left foot a year ago that took forever to heal. But some relief came Tuesday I am better know and I have no worries. Saturday I had a 'where am I at' 5k race...and by that I mean 'how am I progressing in the training'. My last 5k was 2 months earlier...where my time was 20:10, I knew I would be better and I knew I needed to be better...but how much could I improve in 8 weeks? Based on some recent calculations and advice I was given...I was shooting for an 18:20. Conditions at race time were extremely muggy and warm...not hot yet...but very muggy. Luckily it was overcast so the sun was not yet beating down. Temp - just under 80, 85%+ humidity. The result...18:39. Not bad...but slightly slower than the goal, but I am ok with it since the day did not start ideally. First, did I say it was muggy? Second, I really didn't give myself enough time to loosen up (warmup and stretch). So I felt 'labored' for the first mile...and felt like I was working harder than I should...and just generally felt tired and flat and it was hard to get into a groove. Lastly, this wasn't the best organized race. There was a community days celebration being set up...so at various point on the course we were avoiding tables being set up, and cars in our running path. Before the end of mile two, I turned a corner and almost ran into a car. I had to swurve around the car, in front of another to get back on course....which was just wasted energy and got me frustrated. Mile 3 started with a slight uphill which I at that point I was not even focused for. Which is seen in my splits...5:46, 6:06, 6:17. A good start...but I could not maintain it. The first part of the 3rd mile I just couldn't get myself to focus and push through the exhaustion. I was frustrated and unfocused and therefore fell of pace. Lessons learned, I guess...and a reminder for the next one the importance of the mental aspect. But again, it was a nice switch of pace compared to the normal runs and has me thinking 'race mode' again.

Recap of Week 4
Total Miles - 40 miles
Sun - Off
Mon - Off due to heal injury
Tues - 4 mile warmup, 3x1600 (5:53,5:50,5:46), 1 mile cooldown
Wed - 10.5 recovery (1:29)
Thur - 8.4 hard. 3 mile warmup - 22:05 (7:22 pace) Uphill 5.4 (6:55 pace - 37:20) Total time 59:25
Fri - REST
Sat - 13 total. 5k race - 18:39, 10 miles - slow (avg - ~7:50 pace)

1 Comments:

Blogger Ryan said...

Nice week last week. Hope you're ready for tomorrow's long run. Good luck!

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home