Saturday, August 12, 2006

Busy, Busy. Week 5 ad 6 Recap...

Oh my. Between work, Grad School and other obligations it is a wonder I am keeping my head afloat. But I am and I am getting things done (most of the time). Last weekend the charity event I chair happened. Believe it or not, it is a kickball tournament..for adults. 24 teams of about 15 people per team. Dozens of volunteers, booze and 5 games going on at a time from 9:30am to 6pm made for a long day last Saturday. Follow that up with a buddy's Bachelor party, and needless to say no long run that day. Now, I had all intentions to do it on Sunday...but I was completely beat and there was no way I was able to give 2 hrs to get in a 14 miler. Ugghhhh. I was a little dissappointed in myself last week.

Week 5, 7/31 - 8/6 Total 39 miles
Mon - 7 Miles. Including 15 thirty second pickups @ mile pace (30 seconds with 1 minute jog between)
Tues - 10 miles, avg 7:30 (6 miles @ 7:45pace, 4 miles @ 7:05pace...last mile 6:15)
Wed - 8 mile recovery 8:27 pace
Thur - 8 mile (3 mile Tempo pace) 3 warmup @ 8:00 pace, 3 mile Tempo @ 6:05 pace, 2 mile cooldown. I was suprised I was able to hold that pace...consider the Sat before I ran a 5k @ 6:01 pace.
Fri - 6 mile recovery
Sat - Too much going on. Slacker.
Sun - Too tired . Slacker (and somewhat hungover, I am too old)

After totally slacking off Sat and Sun I felt the need to redeem myself. The tricky thing here is my grad school class's final was this week, which meant a couple late nights studying. I am so glad this will be done soon. Oh did I say I also was doing some wedding planning this week and the project I am working on at work went live, so that also meant a couple late nights/early mornings for that. So much going. Uggghhhh.

Week 6, 8/7 - 8/13 Total 63.5 miles THAT IS A PERSONAL RECORD...ALL TIME
Mon - 10.5 miles included in that were 10 one minute pickups to mile pace (60 seconds with 1 minute jog)
Tues - 14 miles easy @ 7:30pace (mid week long run) 1:45 total
Wed - 6 miles recovery run
Thur - 9 mile Stamina workout. 3 mile warmup (8 pace), then 3 x5' pickups (roughly 6:00pace), ran a 4th for 6' (got 1.1 miles or 5:30pace). Two minute jog in between. 2 mile cooldown. Nice workout.
Fri - 6 mile recovery run done late...completed 11pm.
Sat - 18 miles. See notes below

Now for Saturday...interesting run. First, I waited until 2pm to give myself more than 12 hrs since my last run. Kinda of a mistake for that was the hottest part of the day (80 degrees, but it was low humidity so I guess it could have been worse) . Second, because I let myself sleep in (to catch up on some lost sleep), I decided only to eat a breakfast bar before heading up to North Park to get the miles in. Totally paid the price by bonking late in my run. Really, I bonked, bonked real bad. I was supposed to try to get in a progressive run...6 miles easy, 6 medium, and 6 medium/hard. Well, it felt easy at the start, medium in the middle and hard at the end. Just note the way it was suppoed too, but I gutted it out and got in the miles. First 2 miles were @ 7:00 pace. I felt good and the heart rate wasn't too high so I kept telling myself, "Keep going maybe the training is paying off"...mile 3 7:01, mile 4 6:55, mile 5 7:08, mile 6 7:03 ...again I was feeling pretty good but did start to notice that I was getting warm and the heart rate was picking up into a range I knew was going to start to give me problems. But I kept saying, I am a 3rd of the way done. So I thought...instead of picking it up, just maintain this pace. So I did. Mile 7 7:03, Mile 8 6:59, Mile 9 6:56, Mile 10 7:10, Mile 11 6:53, Mile 12 7:04. Now at this point with 2/3 rds of the run done, I was pretty warm and pretty thirsty and my stomach was grawling...I kept thinking about food and water, really I was craving something at this point, but alas I had more 6 miles to go. Because I was a mile from my car (and a water stop) and since I also was on pace for a nice half marathon time (which I was really kind of surprise about) and I was on the last 3rd of the run, I figured I would push the pace in for mile 13 and stop for a bit to get some water. Mile 13 6:44 pace. I stopped to get some water and stretch for a minute and that is when all energy and motivation hit the floor. It caught me off guard...I really didn't feel spent or anything when I finished the 13miles, but it was one of those days were all of a sudden the energy went away. All felt good, then blam! Gone! Uggghhh. I started up running one last lap around the lake...but my legs felt like crud, my breathing was labored, and I was generally completely drained. I did not feel well at all. Last 5 miles took nearly 50 minutes with 3 more water stops. I think not eating before, and not hydrating properly really took a toll. Lesson learned. But still a damn good half marathon in 1:31:35!!!! And 24 miles over a span of 16 hrs after a hard week. So I will chalk this up as a lesson learned...one that just illustrates the feeling of mile 20 of a normal marathon. Sometimes the legs/energy just can go without much warning.

I am so glad I have Sunday off. Here is to a rest day, thank goodness!.

2 Comments:

Blogger Theoutofshapeguy said...

If you could tell me how to manage professional school, training, a relationship, etc. That would be awesome. I'm trying to get through my finals and continue to train and it isn't working to well. Good luck with your training, and hope your finals went well

11:59 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

Steve, my friend, you have a classic history of taking a lot onto your plate at once. My suggestion is to focus on the wedding, marathon training and grad school. Skip the kickball tourneys. Don't sweat the "bonk". Looking forward to our 20 miler next week.

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home