Sunday, June 10, 2007

Week 3 Progress Report...

Oh my goodness. What an emotional rollercoaster ride I am on. Ok, here is this chapters overview...
  • Great Running Week
  • Great Rehab Progress Report on Wed
  • Great Weekend Get-away to SailFish Florida
  • USAIR SUCKS THE BIG ONE. AWFUL FLIGHT EXPEREINCE HOME to Pittsburgh (if I ever get home)

I really tried to stay focused on this weeks running...and I did and the knee/leg felt okay. I am very glad and very optimistic now about what I may be able to do in the next couple of months. After work on Wednesday I had my Physical Therapy appointment...the 1st one in about 2 weeks or so. WHen I told them the amount and type of running I have been doing, they were not extremely thrilled I was doing that. I was like "What???, you told me I could start running." To them, running is 20 minutes...NOT 8 miles. So they recommended I get a strength test done to confirm I am rehab'ed enough to do this type of running. The end result was that my injuried knee's (right) quad strenght is only at a 2% deficency compared to my left leg...and my right hamstring is actually STRONGER than my left leg, which is good since it is my dominant leg. Granted I still have work to do on the quad and other muscles (calf, hip flexor, etc) I am well ahead of schedule.

So right now I am sitting at the airport in Charlotte waiting for a flight from LAX to arrive so that that crew can take me and 100+ other people up to Pittsburgh. The plan is to arrive home around 4:30am. I have one of the biggest meetings scheduled for work tomorrow with like...6 VP's, the CIO and the President of our company. Oh my. Did I say I hate USAir right now.

Week 3 Running Log Total Miles: 47 Miles

  • Mon - 8 miles. 8:15 pace
  • Tues - 8 miles. 8:13 pace
  • Wed - 8 miles. ~9:15
  • Thur - 8 miles. ~9:00
  • Friday - OFF (travel day)
  • Saturday - 3 miles. Was to do 10...spent 45+ minutes searching for my wedding ring that I dropped during the run. My wife did find it later on a return trip..thank goodness.
  • Sun - 12+miles. 2 hrs in the 80+ degree heat/sun of Florida.

The week 4 goal is to keep up the hard work, and to introduce some 1 minute striders into the runs.

BTW...Did I mention I ran 47 miles this week?!?!? This is only 4 months after my reconstructive knee surgery. Only 4 months!!! To my friend Justin who bet me a steak dinner that I couldn't run a sub 3:10 in Chicago this year...get ready to pay up!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Ryan said...

What an awesome week...!!! You are rocking - 47 - you got me beat! It's so on...

and a good thing Kristine found that ring.... you would have never lived that down.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great job Steve! We'll hope to do a 5K with you sometime this summer.

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home