Monday, June 18, 2007

Week 4 Progress...

Now I am getting excited. This is the blog entry I was hoping to be able to write. The only thing is...I hadn't planned on writing this for at least another month, at the earliest.

After last weeks success, my goal this week was to keep up the consistency and throw in some faster runs. I was a bit nervous picking up the pace...being I am just over 4 months out from my knee reconstruction and only 3 weeks into running again.

I kept to the usual plan....run about 8 miles each day until the longer run on Saturday. Thursday's I run with the Pittsburgh Sports League running group; which is a chance to run with a group that can push my pace. This Thursday did just that. While I do not know the exact pace I ran since my Garmin was dead 1 mile into the run; I estimated my pace was under 7:30 since i finished a minute or so ahead a friend who ran the 7 miles in ~52 minutes. Let's just say I was pretty pleased and surprised I could hold that pace. I hadn't pushed an average pace under 8 minutes yet....and here I am under 7:30. Wahooo! The last mile or so I was pumping my fists since for the 1st time in months I felt like 'my old running self (almost)'. That was a good feeling and a huge confidence booster.

Friday I rested and mentally prepared for Saturday's long run. Since Thursday went well, I wanted to push Saturday a bit and see what I could do; granted I would be cautious so let's say 'conservatively aggressive' was the goal. I do want to push the envelope; that is just who I am, but I am so nervous about the knee and how it will respond. Let's just say...it is responding better than I imagined. To not be deterred, I left the heart rate monitor at home so I could focus on 'the feel' of the pace.

Saturday's run is as follows.

  • Mile 1 - Warmup start of 8:15 pace
  • Mile 2 - 7:50
  • Mile 3 - 7:48
  • Mile 4 - 7:54
  • Mile 5 - 7:47 Feeling good at this point. Thinking 'Could it be I will avg under 8:00 pace'? That would be nice. I started to get some chills, but realized I got 9 miles left.
  • Mile 6 - 7:33 "Whoaaaa" I said...that was fast. But I felt good. Is this the week of breakthrough runs!!!!!
  • Mile 7 - 7:27
  • Mile 8 - 7:39 Still feeling good. Can I hold 6 more miles? Oh, yes I can.
  • Mile 9 - 7:27
  • Mile 10 - 7:10 Oh I am laying down the hammer now.
  • Mile 11 - 7:33 Don't be deceived...I was running through downtown so stop and go a couple times was the slow down.
  • Mile 12 - 7:19 This is the home stretch, so I am holding a consistent pace back.
  • Mile 13 - 7:19
  • Mile 14 - 6:59 Sub 7 last mile. After 13, I still had stuff left in the tank.

So the average for the 14 miles was 7:35. I am ecstatic.

Week 4 recap. Total miles: 50.5

Mon - 8 miles / 8:18 pace
Tues - 9 miles / 8:36 pace
Wed - 8 miles / 8:04 pace
Thur - 7 miles / ~7:25 pace
Fri - Off
Sat - 14 miles / 7:35 pace
Sun - 4.5 miles / 8:40 pace

I did it. 50+ miles in week 4 only 4 months after knee surgery. The dream is still alive...a PR in Chicago is still the goal.

Goals for week 5: 56 miles...with a couple 'slightly aggressive' runs.

Can I do this???????

1 Comments:

Blogger Ryan said...

Are you sure that Garmin is working right? I've looked down a couple times to see 6:30 splits and say "no way"!

Just kidding... this is truly amazing. Just DON'T GET HURT!

I need to find a way to keep up with you. Too much travel and other stuff going on... next week goal is 51 miles.

5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home