Monday, July 30, 2007

Week 10 Results... (a story of contrasts)

On one hand, I am happy about the running. Week 10 has proven to me I am *way* ahead of schedule (pace wise) and I am on track for a new PR; if I so desire. But the contrast is I found out earlier this week that my step father has tonsil cancer. While the prognosis sounds like he has a decent chance of beating this horrid disease...it is going to be a fight for him. Chemo, Radiation, surgery, tooth extraction, a feeding tube for months...alone, any one of these is a pain; but he is going to deal with all of them at once and for the better part of 2 months. In many ways I am in shock; but I am doing my best to help him prepare for the fight ahead. Maybe, ironically, this is way I have been fighting my own battles lately...so that I am more prepared 'mentally' and 'spiritually' to console him. Who knows...but this is a tough one. My faith tells me not to worry; it is all in God's hands.

Week 10 recap...60 miles
  • Mon - rest
  • Tues - 6 miles. 3 miles Tempo - 18:17 or 6:06 pace.
  • Wed - 13 miles. 1:51 or 8:33 pace
  • Thur - 8 miles. 56:44 or 7:37 pace
  • Fri - 3 miles. recovery
  • Sat - 20 miles. 2:29 or 7:28 pace. Note: this was about the muggiest run I have ever done. I filled my camelback and ran with it. I drank 30+ ounces of propel on the run and another 10 or so when i was done. I felt nauseous and managed to throw up once I got home. Ugghh. Good run though.
  • Sun - 10 miles. 1:11:57 or 7:12 pace. Not bad after a 20 miler the day before.

The next 10 weeks will prove to be a challenge for me...and my family.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ryan said...

Wow... what a blow. Honestly, Never had heard of tonsil cancer. Hope you are coping OK...

Time to dedicate your perserverance, training and commitment toward your sub-3 in honor of your stepdad.

I know I am inspired... lots of work to do, gonna keep working.

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home